Permaculture Design Principles
Many of these relationships are fairly general. The best results come from creating diversity by using a variety of herbs and ornamental plants alongside the edible crops planted in the garden.
Some Companion Plants are:
- Basil helps repel flies and mosquitoes
- Birch leaves encourage compost fermentation
- Borage in the strawberry patch will increase the yield
- Catnip repels fleas, ants and rodents
- Caraway helps breakdown heavy soils
- Chamomile deters flies and mosquitoes and gives strength to any plant growing nearby
- Chives grown beneath apple trees will help to prevent apple scab; beneath roses will keep away aphids and blackspot.
- Elderberry a general insecticide, the leaves encourage compost fermentation, the flowers and berries make good wine.
- Fennel repel flies and ants
- French Marigold root secretions kill nasty nematodes (not the beneficial ones) and will repel white fly amongst tomatoes.
- Garlic helps keep aphids away from roses
- Hyssop attracts cabbage white moth keeping brassicas free from infestation
- Mint repels cabbage white moth. Dried and placed with clothes will repel clothes moth.
- Nasturtium secrete a mustard oil, which many insects find attractive and will seek out, particularly the cabbage white moth. Alternatively, the flowers repel aphids and the cucumber beetle. The climbing variety grown up apple trees will repel codling moth.
- Pyrethrum will repel bugs if grown around the vegetable garden
- Rosemary repels carrot fly
- Sage protects cabbages from cabbage white moth
- Tansy (Tanacetum, not Senecio) repels moths, flies and ants. Plant beneath peach trees to repel harmful flying insects. Tansy leaves assist compost fermentation.
- Wormwood (Artemesia, not Ambrosia) although it can inhibit the growth of plants near it, wormwood does repel moths and flies and keeps animals off the garden.
Some compatible vegetables are:
- Beetroot: Onions, Lettuce, Cabbage, Silverbeet
- Cabbages: Beans, Celery, Beetroot, Onions, Potatoes
- Cauliflower: Celery
- Celery & Celeriac: Chives, Leeks, Tomatoes, Dwarf Beans
- Carrots: Lettuce, Peas, Leeks, Chives, Onions, Cucumbers, Beans
- Broadbeans: Potatoes, Peas, Beans
- Tomatoes: Asparagus, Parsley, Broccoli, Sweet Basil, Carrots
- Sweet Corn: Potatoes, Peas, Beans
Source: Soil Sista
The Dance at Alder Cove - Youth/Father/Geezer - I see you